Monday, September 22, 2008

Are Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia the same disease?

This is for Jo at jo janoski's blog

CFIDS and Fibromyalgia are not the same disease, although many people have both CFIDS/FMS. Many of the symptoms are the same such as muscle pain, fatigue, insomnia or sleep problems.
Case definition for CFS (must have at least 4 out of 8 symptoms): Six months of fatigue that reduces function, unexplained by other illness or major psychiatric morbidity, post exertional relapse/malaise, unrefreshing sleep, muscle aches, joint pain, new onset of headaches, attention/concentration and cognitive complaints,sore throat, and tender or painful lymph nodes.
Fibromyalgia Symptoms: Tender points-18 specific spots where the muscles are abnormally tender to touch, chemical or food allergies (also true in CFIDS),dizziness and loss of balance, extreme fatigue, jaw pain, irritable bowel, and headaches.

For more information on CFIDS/FMS check out www.OFFERUtah.org. To receive their ENews, look for the ENews button and sign up.

1 comment:

Jo A. T.B. said...

Hello Patty,

Thanks for clearing that up for me! They both have similar symtoms huh. I can say some of my symtoms fit into Fibromyalgia. I will definitely check out that link. I think you have me confused with my other blog friend Jo!

Jo from Literally In The Moment!