Thursday, October 30, 2008

Recovery from Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia

"Chronic Fatigue is not death, but it takes your life away."
My journey from Chronic Fatigue began 17 years ago when I was diagnosed with CFIDS and Fibromyalgia. I was so ill my doctor wanted to give me medical disability. After four years of agony I said to my doctor, "I either want to get better or I want to die."I wasn't suicidal, I just didn't have the energy to live. Since then, I have recovered even though the Center for Disease Control says there is no cure. I drastically changed my diet from the typical SAD (Standard American Diet) to an alkaline diet (it includes lots green vegetables), finished a degree in Holistic Nutrition and have more energy than I did 30 years ago. My passion now is to educate others and give them hope for recovery.
My doctoral dissertation explored the results of an alkaline diet on patients who had significant disability and pain from CFIDS/FMS. After they were on the diet for a period of three months or more, all of them experienced significant improvement in their symptoms and were able to resume normal activities. They had outstanding improvment in decreased muscle and joint pain. A hundred percent of partcipants had improvment in 13 out of 16 symptoms. According to several doctors, and Dr. Robert Young, "Yeast (candida), fungus and mold, are major players in Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia."
pH is also a very significant factor in these diseases. The more alkaline your blood and tissues, the less pain you will have.
An article in the journal of Medical Hypothesis proposed that glutathione, an antioxidant essential for lymphocyte function, may be depleted in CFIDS patients. Glutathione is needed for both the immune system and for aerobic muscular contraction. Depletion of the supplement could cause the muscular fatigue and myalgia associated with CFIDS/FMS.
Scroll down to older post on Chronic Fatigue and Fibromyalgia

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am writing to you from the Pacific Northwest Foundation about a case study that may be of interest to your concerns regarding fibromyalgia. While this was not a study undertaken by the Foundation, it was a case with which we have had access to in virtually every detail. This includes the chart notes (with the patient's approval) as well as the observations and insights of the patient's health care provider.

The case involves an adult female who had been disabled for eight years with diagnosed fibromyalgia. Within four months of treatment, she was able to backpack, regularly work a full day and have little or no pain.

As with all our studies, it is our hope to stimulate additional efforts to determine if these results were an aberration or have wider implications. To this end, we wanted to make you aware of the cast study (which can be found online at http://pnf.org/html/fibromyalgia.html), in the hope that it might prove useful as a starting point for research within your organization.

Thanks and kind regards,

Frank Cook
Pacific Northwest Foundation